Top Tips for Starting at SERC
0 min read
11 September 2023
In the foyer locations on our campuses (found after walking through the main campus entrances), you will find the reception areas – home of SERC’s Customer Services. Customer Services staff can be found behind the reception desks and are always willing to help you with any queries you may have. Our friendly Customer Services staff can also help signpost you to a room you need to get to, such as classrooms, cafeterias and sports halls.
Need a place to study? SERC Learning Resource Centres (LRCs) are perfect for your studying needs. LRCs provide support for student learning in Bangor, Downpatrick, Lisburn and Newtownards campuses, and have access to computer facilities with specialist course specific software, designated silent study rooms, 1100+ ebooks, and more. LRC staff can also provide you with book recommendations for your course, show you how to complete a bibliography, and how to reference your assignments.
The SERC Student’s Union (SU) hosts a variety of events, clubs and societies, which can help you make new friends through common interests and teamwork. SERC SU is a democratic body, elected by the student community to work on behalf of and for the benefit of students. The SU also offers great opportunities for students such as SU Officer training and student discounts. Additionally, the SU also run Quiet Rooms for student to reflect, relax and pray in. Click here to find out more.
SERC has several support services that students can avail of while studying:
- SERC Careers Service: Our Careers Service provides a professional, impartial and confidential service to help young people and adults make informed choices about their future career and next steps.
- SERC Learning Support: If you have a disability, long-term medical condition or learning difficulty, you may be eligible for additional help and support while you study at SERC. Click here to learn more about Learning Support at SERC.
- Pastoral Care: While attending SERC, issues might arise that could affect your ability to study. To help you through situations like these the College has established a range of support services and activities. Many of these are provided by specialist staff within SERC while others are provided by SERCs external partners. For information on Pastoral Care, click here.
- SERC Student Finance: The SERC Student Finance team is on hand to help with any questions relating to fees and financial support a student may have. To speak to a member of the team, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Support for Carers at SERC: Student Carers face many barriers to full engagement in college life and learning, and SERC can provide support to help student carers achieve their best results possible while they study. Click here to find out more or contact email@example.com.
Visit www.serc.ac.uk to unlock your future #BetterOffAtSERC.