SERC staff and students are keeping their cookery and baking skills as sharp as their kitchen knives with weekly food recipes designed to tantalise the taste buds.
If you have any delicious recipes or pictures of your culinary creations you would like to share, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org to be included in next week's College Cuisine.
This week’s recipe shows you how to make your own salted chilli chicken, courtesy of SERC Lisburn Campus Catering Assistant Anna Szocinska. The recipe is as follows:
- 1 tbsp salt.
- ½ tbsp caster sugar.
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 2 tsp crushed chilli flakes.
- ½ tsp garlic powder.
- ¼ tsp ground ginger.
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper.
- 500g chicken breast, cut into strips.
- 2 egg whites, whisked.
- 6 tbsp corn flour.
- Oil, for frying.
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into bite size chunks.
- 2 green peppers, washed and cut into bite size chunks.
- 3 spring onions, chopped.
- 2 red chillies, washed and thinly sliced.
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar (or apple vinegar).
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce.
- 1 tbsp Salt and chilli seasonings.
- Mix all the seasoning ingredients and store in an airtight container.
- Dip the chicken strips in egg white and then in the corn flour before deep frying.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the heat and place on sheets of kitchen-roll to drain. Check that the chicken has thoroughly cooked the whole way through.
- Heat the oil in the wok and fry the green peppers, onions and chillies for 3- 4 minutes.
- Pour in the vinegar and soya sauce and let it sizzle for 2 minutes while continuing to stir.
- Add the chicken to the stir fry and season with the salt and chilli mixture. Add the spring onions and mix everything together.
- Serve immediately with rice (Uncle Ben’s express egg fried rice) or chips.
These recipes would not be possible without the hard work of SERC’s catering staff, who strive to create excellent meals as well as maintaining a Microsoft Teams page for these recipes to be shared between staff and students. If you are interested in cooking at a professional level, please click here to view our full time Hospitality and Catering courses.
Apply now for courses commencing September 2020. For more information visit www.serc.ac.uk to find out how you could be #BetterOffAtSERC
#OnlineAndOpenForBusiness Find us on Facebook, search SERC.