No Smoking Day - Wednesday 13 March
NO SMOKING DAY WEDNESDAY 13 MARCH 2019
Today is no smoking day and there is support and services to help you to stop smoking.
Here are some tips to help you stop smoking:
- Make a list of the benefits of not smoking including health and money.
- Try to remember how you started smoking. Is this reason still valid?
- Make a list of the times of day when you most want to smoke.
- Make a list of the things that happen that make you reach for a cigarette.
- Know when your “weak” times are. Make a commitment to a date to stop smoking!
- Throw away your cigarettes, lighters etc. Don’t own any cigarettes or have any secret supplies!
- Get support from colleagues, family, friends and people around you.
- If you associate smoking with drinking, socialising or after a meal try to change the pattern of your activity so the time to smoke is no longer there.
- Talk through any health concerns or symptoms you experience, which you think, may be associated with giving up smoking with your GP or Health Advisor.
Students Union have organised an information stand in the Foyer in the Bangor Campus with Cancer Focus on the 13th March 2019 for staff and students to visit from 10.00 am until 2.00 pm.
- Lisburn Campus - Tuesdays 2 pm to 4 pm - First Aid Room
- Downpatrick Campus - Wednesday 12.30 pm to 2.30 pm - First Aid Room
Updates will be put on SERC+ app when arrangements have been made for Bangor and Ards clinics.
The Public Health Agency (PHA) has recently refreshed its stop smoking website with the involvement of smokers and ex-smokers, to support people in their quit attempt. The updated site has information on the benefits of quitting, stop smoking aids, and stop smoking services across Northern Ireland, and you can also order your free Quit Kit to help give you the best chance of success in becoming smoke free.
A video showing how the PHA’s Stop Smoking Support Services can help you quit your habit can be seen here by opening the hyperlink. The website has an interactive map to locate services and also features local people who’ve successfully quit using the stop smoking service.