Pearson BTEC Level 4 HNC in Art and Design (RQF) (Photography)
This exciting, new and dynamic full-time one year practical course offers students the opportunity to study contemporary photographic practice. Students gain experience and practical knowledge in contemporary industry practice using state of the art equipment whilst applying practical business practice to prepare them for work or to top up to the HND Photography.
Course Code: 72042
Duration: 34 Weeks
Modules will include:
- Mandatory Core Units:
- Professional development
- Contextual studies
- Individual project
- Techniques and Processes
- Lighting for photography
- Photographic practices
Optional Units will include:
- Darkroom techniques
- Communication in art and design
- Visual narratives
- Screen Based Practices
You will also work towards a Personal Development qualification and will be involved in a range of activities, with a view to improve your employability prospects.
Contact Hours per week
15 hours contact time to include practical classes, lectures, workshops or tutorials.
Mandatory Additional Study
Maximum of 3 hours per week average over the academic year.
22 hours maximum studying and preparing assessments in your own time per week, including use of online materials.
- GCSE English Language Grade C or above OR Pass in Level 2 Essential Skills Literacy
- GCSE Mathematics Grade C or above OR Pass in Level 2 Essential Skills Numeracy
A minimum of 48 UCAS points including:
- Two A Levels at A2 which must include a grade C pass or above in an art/photography/media related subject OR
- Level 3 National Diploma MP profile in art, media or photography related subject. OR
- A Pass in a Foundation Diploma or Foundation Degree in Art and Design
- Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B
- PTE 51
- IELTS 6.0; (minimum of 5.5 in all skills)
- Or equivalent (Examples of equivalent qualifications would be a GCSE in English, Level 3 Programmes, Essential Skills in Literacy – Level 2, ESOL Level 2 or another qualification/s gained at an Institution within the UK).
- Successful completion of the admissions process
- Provide evidence of ability to undertake the programme by meeting the requirements for the accreditation of prior experiential learning. Further details on APEL can be found in the admissions section
How will I be assessed and given feedback?
Students are assessed using a range of different methods. These include examinations, coursework, Project Based Learning, presentations, practical, posters, leaflets, role-play, and case studies. This is dependent on the requirements of each unit of study. Oral, written and online feedback will be provided during your course to help improve and monitor performance.
Where will it take me?
Successful completion of the HNC Photography course may provide you with the opportunity to complete a further year leading to the Level 5 HND in photography.
How will it make me more employable?
Students will be required to have their own DSLR camera and in addition be prepared to purchase the following materials in order to complete module assignments over the year:
Additional Materials and Equipment
- Film rolls (£4-5 each)
- Darkroom B&W printing paper (£40 per box of 100 sheets)
- Digital printing (£2, A4 in house)
- A3 workbooks for project work (£3-5)
- Programme educational visits and trips (approximately £200)
If you have just completed your A-Levels Higher Education is most likely the option for you. HE usually covers HNC, HND, Foundation Degree level of courses including our Higher Level Apprenticeships.Explore Higher Education
Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design (Photography)
This one year, full-time photography course (15 hours per week) is aimed at preparing post A-level and mature students alike who perhaps do not yet have the necessary entry requirements or portfolio for entry into higher-level qualifications.
Leisure Digital Photography
This series of workshops helps photographers develop their skills in using digital media with their photography.
This is a beginners Photoshop course. Students will learn the basics of photo-editing and manipulation of images.