Pearson BTEC HNC in Construction and the Built Environment
This HNC Construction course is a recognised Higher Education qualification, allowing students to progress to level 5.
Subject support is offered through the Virtual Learning Environment - Moodle.
The HNC consists of four Core Units (Mandatory), two Specialist Units (Mandatory) and two optional units.
- Individual Project
- Construction Technology
- Science & Materials
- Construction Practice & Management
- Legal and Statutory Responsibilities in Construction
- Construction Information. (Drawing, Detailing, Specification)
- Surveying, Measuring & Setting Out
- Site Supervision & Operations
Sorry you cannot currently apply online for this course.
Contact Hours per week
15 hours contact time to include practical classes, lectures, workshops or tutorials.
Mandatory Additional Study
Maximum of 3 hours per week average over the academic year
22 hours maximum studying and preparing assessments in your own time per week, including use of online materials
- GCSE English Language Grade C or above OR Pass in Level 2 Essential Skills Literacy
- GCSE Mathematics Grade C or above OR Pass in Level 2 Essential Skills Numeracy
A minimum of 48 UCAS points including:
- Two A Levels at A2 OR
- Level 3 National Diploma
- Access Diploma in Foundation Studies with an overall average of 50%+
- Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B2
- PTE 51
- IELTS 6.0; (minimum of 5.5 in all skills)
- Or equivalent (Examples of equivalent qualifications would be a GCSE in English, Level 3 Programmes, Essential Skills in Literacy – Level 2, ESOL Level 2 or another qualifications gained at an Institution within the UK).
- Successful completion of the admissions process
- Provide evidence of ability to undertake the programme by meeting the requirements for the accreditation of prior experiential learning. Further details on APEL can be found in the admissions section
How will I be assessed and given feedback?
Students are assessed using a range of different methods. These include tests, coursework, presentations, practical, posters, leaflets, role-play, and case studies. This is dependent on the requirements of each unit of study. Oral, written and online feedback will be provided during your course to help improve and monitor performance.
Where will it take me?
How will it make me more employable?
This programme will provide you with the skills to enable you to meet changing circumstances, whether these arise from a shift in your own sphere of employment, promotion to supervisory or management roles or from general changes in construction practices and the information technology environment.
Industry related projects will help develop skills like teamwork, planning, problem solving and communication, all of which you may need in the work place. HNC courses are well recognised by employers and they will see that you have the technical skills and knowledge to perform related roles within their business.
Students are expected to provide their own steel toe capped safety boots for site visits estimated £30.
General drawing equipment such as pencils, pens, Scientific Calculator, setsquares, compasses and scale rulers are also required. Estimated £30.
If you have just completed your A-Levels, Higher Education is most likely the option for you. HE usually covers HNC, HND & Foundation Degree level of courses including our Higher Level Apprenticeships.Explore Higher Education
Pearson BTEC HNC in Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering)
Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals are designed to help students secure the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in the workplace. They represent the latest in professional standards and provide opportunities for students to develop skills for work, for example by undertaking a group project, or responding to a client brief.
Construction Skills Register
A One day approved Health & Safety Course and assessment for workers within the construction industry enabling you to achieve a recognised level of competence. This card can also be used as a means of identification.
NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
This is the most popular and recognised Health and Safety qualification of its kind. It will provide learners with the industry knowledge to identify, evaluate and control a wide range of workplace hazards.
Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Insulation and Building Treatments (Construction)
This qualification has been developed for delivery in a working environment. It will help develop and recognise your skills, knowledge and competence so that you can work in Draught-proofing within the construction industry.