Higher Level Apprenticeship in Gas
South Eastern Regional College (SERC) have developed a bespoke Higher Level Apprenticeship programme in Gas Safety Management in Social Housing with industry support from the Northern Ireland Master Plumbers Association and SNIPEF (Scottish and Northern Ireland Plumbing Employers Federation).
This two year Higher level Apprenticeship (Level 4) is a work-based programme which enables you to earn while you learn and gain a nationally recognised professional qualification. You will need to be employed for example in a Plumbing, Heating, Gas or Mechanical services company or an organisation managing planned maintenance. SERC will have a close relationship with your employer in mentoring you throughout your employment period.
All staff teaching on the programme hold vocationally relevant qualification, as well as significant industry experience.
Modules in this programme may include:
- Gas Safety Management responsibilities of Landlords or their Agents
- Combustion and Carbon Monoxide
- Gas Safety Legislation
- Flueing and ventilation of domestic gas appliances
- Domestic gas appliances, meters and pipework
- Energy efficiency for gas fired and oil fired domestic heating and hot water systems
Higher Level Apprenticeship in Gas
Please select a campus from the list above to view the available sessions.
Contact Hours per Week
13.5 hours contact time per week to include practical classes, lectures, workshops or tutorials.
A further 15-20 hours per week, on average, studying and preparing assessments in your own time per week, including use of online materials.
General Entry Requirements:
- GCSE English Language Grade C or above OR Pass in Level 2 Essential Skills Literacy
- GCSE Mathematics Grade C or above OR Pass in Level 2 Essential Skills Numeracy
- It is critical that the applicant has an appropriate level of English language skills if English is not the first language
A minimum of 32 UCAS points including:
- Two A Levels at A2 OR
- Level 3 National Diploma in a related subject (e.g NVQ in Gas, Plumbing and Heating, Refrigeration etc.)
- Access Diploma in Foundation Studies with an overall average of 60%
English Language Requirements for International students:
- Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B2
- IELTS 6.0 (minimum of 5.5 in all skills)
- PTE 51 Or an approved equivalent test in English
Equivalent qualifications include:
- Grade C (or above) in GCSE English
- Successfully completion of a Level 3 Vocational Programme with assessments completed in English Language
- Essential Skills in Literacy (Level 2)
- ESOL Level 2
Tier 4 Students:
- SERC will only accept a Secure English Language Test (SELT) for issuing a Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
- Successful completion of the admissions process
- Provide evidence of ability to undertake the programme by meeting the requirements for the accreditation of prior experiential learning. Further details on APEL can be found in the admissions section
How will I be assessed and given feedback?
Assessment will consist of a written/word processed assignment and feedback will be provided to you throughout the year.
Where will it take me?
This course is aimed at developing future managers of the Gas industry.
Previous and current students are drawn from:
- Gas Contractor Supervisors
- NIHE Inspectors
- Education Board Gas contract Inspectors
- Gas Appliance manufacturers engineers
- Gas contractors/engineers
- Gas industry operatives
Successful completion of this course can lead to employment within management in the following areas:
- Gas installation and Maintenance contracts
- Gas Service contract
- Social Housing & Gas Facilities management contract supervision.
How will it make me more employable?
The course will provide you with higher level knowledge of gas systems and gas safety which can lead straight into employment.
Students will learn how the intricate nature of gas appliances, flues and their ventilation must legally be properly maintained through gas contracts. You will learn how to manage gas safety in social housing, understand legislative requirement affecting the management of gas in social housing environments and the installation of gas appliances, meters and pipework.
Training & Apprenticeships
Apprenticeships allow you to learn and earn at the same time! With the Training for Success and Apprenticeships programmes you can study with us and work at the same time.Explore Training & Apprenticeships
Plumbing - Apprenticeship NI (Level 2)
This 2 year course will equip you with the Level 2 outcomes required to match the occupational framework.
Plumbing - Apprenticeship NI (Level 3)
This 2 year course consists of advanced practical tasks to include installation and testing of oil or gas systems, unvented hot water cylinders, heating controls and fault diagnosis.
Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Plumbing and Heating
Level 2 will suit you if you have some relevant plumbing and heating knowledge and skills, usually from a role where you've been supervised.