Catering - Work Based Apprenticeship (Professional Cookery) (Level 3)
This Apprenticeship in Professional Cookery is delivered in the workplace and college, and enables you to 'Earn while you learn!'
Campus: Off Site
Course Code: 78572
Duration: 26 to 48 Weeks
This Apprenticeship is the equivalent to two 'A' Levels and will allow you to gain new practical skills and theoretical knowledge in the catering industry.
Delivery of this Apprenticeship will take place within your workplace and college by a Trainer/Assessor on a one to one basis, with the support of your employer.
Catering - Work Based Apprenticeship (Professional Cookery) (Level 3) - Holding Code
78572 / OSH1A
Please select a campus from the list above to view the available sessions.
Modules you will study will include:
- Develop productive working relationships with Colleagues
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
Optional modules may include:
- Prepare fish for complex dishes
- Prepare meat for complex dishes
- Prepare poultry for complex dishes
- Cook and finish complex fish dishes
- Cook and finish complex meat dishes
- Cook and finish complex poultry dishes
- Cook and finish complex vegetable dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish complex hot sauces
- Prepare, cook and finish dressings and cold sauces
- Prepare shellfish for complex dishes
- Prepare game for complex dishes
- Cook and finish complex shellfish dishes
- Cook and finish complex game dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish complex soups
- Prepare, cook and finish fresh pasta dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish complex bread and dough products
- Prepare, cook and finish complex cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones
- Prepare, cook and finish complex pastry products
- Prepare, process and finish complex chocolate products
- Prepare, process and finish marzipan, pastillage and sugar products
- Prepare, cook and present complex cold products
- Prepare, finish and present canapés and cocktail products
- Prepare, cook and finish complex hot desserts
- Prepare, cook and finish complex cold desserts
- Produce sauces, fillings and coatings for complex desserts
- Produce healthier dishes
- Contribute to the control of resources
- Contribute to the development of recipes and menus
- Ensure food safety practices are followed in the preparation and serving of food and drink
- Employment rights & responsibilities in the hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism sector
As part of your Apprenticeship you will also be required to complete Essential Skills in Literacy and Numeracy if you do not have a GCSE Grade C in English or Maths, or equivalent.
You are employed! in a supervisory position and wish to take the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge of fine dining and progress within your role as a professional chef to a more senior position.
Having successfully completed your Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery you may progress to a Level 4 Hospitality Management qualification or a more senior position within the hospitality industry.
- To be permanently employed or seeking employment within the Catering Industry and be contracted to work a minimum of 21 hours per week.
- To be eligible for the Apprenticeship you will be aged between 16-24.
- Completion of the Level 2 ApprenticeshipsNI framework in Hospitality & Catering or Catering & Professional Chefs.
If you have just completed your GCSEs Further Education is most likely the option for you. FE covers qualifications from entry to higher level qualifications such as Awards, Certificates, Diplomas, NVQ, BTEC and Apprenticeships.Explore Further Education
Level 3 NVQ Professional Cookery - Patisserie and Confectionery
This course is suitable if you wish to pursue a career in advanced patisserie
Catering - Apprenticeship NI (Level 2)
This course aims to provide realistic training in food preparation for the industry at a basic level.
Catering - Apprenticeship NI (Level 3)
This course is aimed at those who have achieved a Level 2 or equivalent qualification in Professional Cookery
Ulster University Foundation Degree In Tourism, Hospitality and Events
This course offers exciting, modern and engaging content, embracing all three industries. It provides students with the opportunity to appreciate the symbiotic relationship that binds tourism, hospitality and events, while simultaneously acquiring a balanced mix of academic and practical skills.