Catering - Work Based Apprenticeship (Professional Cookery) (Level 2)
This Apprenticeship in Professional Cookery is delivered in the workplace and college, and enables you to 'Earn while you learn!'
Campus: Off Site
Course Code: 78571
Duration: 26 to 48 Weeks
This Apprenticeship is the equivalent to five GCSEs at A*-C and will allow you to gain new practical skills and theoretical knowledge in the catering industry.
Delivery of this Apprenticeship will take place within your workplace and college by a Trainer/Assessor on a one to one basis, with the support of your employer.
Catering - Work Based Apprenticeship (Professional Cookery) (Level 2) - Holding Code
78571 / OSH1A
Please select a campus from the list above to view the available sessions.
Modules you will study will include:
- Maintenance of a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Working effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Maintain, handle and clean knives
Optional modules may include:
- Prepare fish for basic dishes
- Prepare shellfish for basic dishes
- Prepare meat for basic dishes
- Prepare poultry for basic dishes
- Prepare game for basic dishes
- Prepare offal for basic dishes
- Prepare vegetables for basic dishes
- Process dried ingredients prior to cooking
- Prepare and mix spice and herb blends
- Cook and finish basic fish dishes
- Cook and finish basic shellfish dishes
- Cook and finish basic meat dishes
- Cook and finish basic poultry dishes
- Cook and finish basic game dishes
- Cook and finish basic vegetable dishes
- Cook-chill food Cook-freeze food
- Prepare, cook and finish basic hot sauces
- Prepare cook and finish basic soups
- Make basic stock
- Prepare, cook and finish basic rice dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic pasta dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic pulse dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic vegetable protein dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic egg dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic bread and dough products
- Prepare, cook and finish basic pastry products
- Prepare, cook and finish basic cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones
- Prepare, cook and finish basic grain dishes
- Produce healthier dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic cold and hot desserts
- Prepare and present food for cold presentation
- Prepare, cook and finish Dim Sum
- Prepare, cook and finish noodle dishes
- Prepare and cook food using a Tandoor
- Complete kitchen documentation
- Set up and close kitchen
- Order stock
- Cook and finish simple bread and dough products
- Liaise with care team to ensure that individual nutritional needs are met
- Prepare meals to meet the requirements set for school meals
- Employment rights & responsibilities in the hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism sector
As part of your Apprenticeship you will also be required to complete Essential Skills in Literacy and Numeracy if you do not have a GCSE Grade C in English or Maths, or equivalent.
Your employed! and wish to take the opportunity to develop and progress within your role as a professional chef.
The flexibility of this qualification and training will be both on a one on one basis and as part of a group. You will along with your employer select the optional units which are relevant to your job role.
Delivery of this qualification is on site with your employer and in the College (if required to provide an immersive learning experience).
Having successfully completed your Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery you could progress to a Level 3 Apprenticeship or further study on a NVQ Level 3 in Preparation and Cookery or NVQ Level 3 in Patisserie and Confectionery.
To be permanently employed or seeking employment within the Catering Industry and be contracted to work a minimum of 21 hours per week, and completed your Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery.
To be eligible for the Apprenticeship you will be aged between 16-24.
If you have just completed your GCSEs Further Education is most likely the option for you. FE covers qualifications from entry to higher level qualifications such as Awards, Certificates, Diplomas, NVQ, BTEC and Apprenticeships.Explore Further Education
Level 3 NVQ Professional Cookery - Patisserie and Confectionery
This course is suitable if you wish to pursue a career in advanced patisserie
Catering - Apprenticeship NI (Level 2)
This course aims to provide realistic training in food preparation for the industry at a basic level.
Catering - Apprenticeship NI (Level 3)
This course is aimed at those who have achieved a Level 2 or equivalent qualification in Professional Cookery
Ulster University Foundation Degree In Tourism, Hospitality and Events
This course offers exciting, modern and engaging content, embracing all three industries. It provides students with the opportunity to appreciate the symbiotic relationship that binds tourism, hospitality and events, while simultaneously acquiring a balanced mix of academic and practical skills.