The HND in Applied Biology prepares you for employment in the science industry and provides you with the opportunity to gain entry to relevant Degree programmes. The learning experience is a combination of laboratory based training, field work, theoretical knowledge and e-learning. The programme incorporates a number of talks by experts from the industry and includes visits to industries, university laboratories, hospital laboratories and conservation areas.
Typically, weekly contact hours are scheduled for a minimum of 17 hours per week per semester. Student workload usually includes 2 to 3 assessments per module. Students are required to undertake between 3 and 5 self-study hours per week.
The teaching team are highly qualified with industrial and research experience. The staff continually develop their professional skills by attending specialised training programmes.
The HND is made up of 16 units in total; 8 units will be covered in year 1 and qualify as an HNC, with a further 8 units in year 2 combine to qualify as an HND.
Modules may include:
MANDATORY MODULES (over 2 years)
Six Mandatory modules, totalling 95 credits include:
- Cell Biology
- Biochemistry of Macromolecules and Metabolic Pathways
- Laboratory Techniques for Applied Biology
- Analysis of Scientific Data and Information
- Physiology of Cellular Systems in Animals
- Project for Applied Science
Ten Optional modules, totalling 150 credits, 135 of which must be at Level 5, will be offered and may include:
- Medical Microbology
- Neurophysiology and Homeostatic Control of the Human Body
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Biodiversity, Conservation and Threats
- Chemistry for Applied Biologists
- Environmental Monitoring and Analysis
- Ecological Principles and their Application
- Environmental Chemical Analysis
- Management of Projects
- Physical Chemistry
- Organics Chemistry
*The modules for the Part-Time course may vary from year to year.
Units may vary due to the availability of staff and combining HND and HNC classes.
Important Information on the Full Fee – Please note that this fee is for the 1st year only. Fees will apply for each year of a course.