Pearson BTEC HND in Performing Arts
This exciting and dynamic full-time one year has an emphasis on learning skills current to the performing arts industry with the aim of increasing your employability. It is a production-based course for students who wish to develop skills in the performing arts. The course is highly practical, but it also demands academic ability. We use Project Based Learning (PBL) approaches which give you industry relevant experiential learning. This will prepare you for employment within the broad spectrum of the performing arts field.
Course Code: 71239
Duration: 34 Weeks
Mandatory Core Units
- Professional Development
- The Performing Arts Industry
- Creative Research Project
- Working in the Industry
Mandatory Specialist Units
- Acting 1
- Acting 2
- Voice and Speech for Actors
Specialist Units include
- Devising Theatre and Performance
- Acting for Camera
- Vocal Repertoire
- Commercial Dance 1
- Physical Theatre
- Performance Project
- Immersive Theatre
Contact Hours per week
15 hours contact time to include practical classes, lectures, workshops or tutorials.
Mandatory Additional Study
Maximum of 3 hours per week average over the academic year.
22 hours maximum studying and preparing assessments in your own time per week, and use of online materials
- A minimum of 4 GCSEs Grade C or above (or Level 2 Essential Skills)
- GCSE English Language Grade C or above OR Pass in Level 2 Essential Skills Literacy
A minimum of 32 UCAS points including:
- An A Level OR
- Level 3 National Diploma in Performing Arts
- Access Diploma in Foundation Studies with overall average of 58%+
- Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B2
- PTE 51
- IELTS 6.0 (minimum of 5.5 in all skills)
- Or equivalent (examples of equivalent qualifications would be GCSE in English, Level 3 Programmes, Essential Skills in Literacy - Level 2, ESOL Level 2 or another qualification gained at an institution within the UK).
Successful completion of the Admissions Process.
- Desirable qualities should include good performance skills and/or performance experience
How will I be assessed and given feedback?
Students are assessed using a range of different methods. These include examinations, coursework, project based learning, presentations, practical, posters, leaflets, role-play, and case studies. This is dependent on the requirements of each unit of study. Oral, written and online feedback will be provided during your course to help improve and monitor performance.
Where will it take me?
Successful completion of the HNC Performing Arts (General) course (Year 1) may provide you with the opportunity to complete a further year leading to the Level 5 HND in Performing Arts.
The specific vocational content of this course, along with access to a state-of-the-art theatre environment provide an invaluable pre-requisite to employment in all aspects of the creative arts industries. Previous students on this course have gained employment in technical theatre, teaching, and acting roles as well as establishing their own dance businesses.
How will it make me more employable?
- Gaining a vocational qualification demonstrating your technical competence.
- Gaining a Personal Development qualification demonstrating your employability skills (communication, teamwork, critical thinking).
- Gaining hands on experience through Industry Projects (PBL).
- Getting involved in activities such as the SERC Volunteer Programme and SERC Student Companies.
As well as gaining a recognised qualification you will take part in employability skills workshops and gain skills in teamwork, commitment, IT and problem solving. You will also have the opportunity to become a member of The Glass Umbrella Theatre Company.
If you have just completed your A-Levels Higher Education is most likely the option for you. HE usually covers HNC, HND, Foundation Degree level of courses including our Higher Level Apprenticeships.Explore Higher Education
Level 3 Diploma in Theatrical. Special Effects and Hair and Media Make-Up
This 1 year course has been specifically designed to develop your practical skills to an advanced level through a variety of techniques.
Level 3 90-credit Diploma in Performing Arts
This 1 year course is equivalent to 3x AS levels and leads onto the 1 year Extended Diploma (top-up)-students who successfully complete the 90 credit course will automatically be rolled over onto the Extended Diploma and do not need to apply online.
Level 3 90-credit Diploma in Production Arts
This 1 year course is equivalent to 3x AS levels and leads onto the 1 year Extended Diploma (top-up)-students who successfully complete the 90 credit course will automatically be rolled over onto the Extended Diploma & do not need to apply online.
Level 3 90-credit Diploma in Performing Arts (Dance)
This course is suitable for students considering pathways into higher education in dance or employment in the industry. This is a 1 year course with an equivalency of 3 AS Levels and on successful completion will lead directly on to our Level 3 Extended Diploma in Performing Arts (Dance) which is equivalent to 3 A Levels.