Offered by the NI Film & Television School at SERC, the HND is a part-time, one year top-up course that follows on from the Level 4 HNC in Creative Media Production. The units build on the skills and knowledge acquired in the first year HNC and aim to develop them further. It is delivered over fourteen hours a week to allow students to balance other work and family commitments alongside their course of study. Once enrolled, students will have access to industry standard production equipment and studio space.
The second year HND is delivered by a team of media industry professionals and is comprised of eight units (two mandatory and six specialist).
Year Two (Provisional Units) –Special Subject Investigation – The opportunity to explore new broadcast technologies through workshops, demos and independent research
- Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation – Working to a client brief on an independent production
- Moving Image Documentary Production – Students will research and produce Documentary Shorts to a professional standard
- Director for Moving Image Production – Linked to the student’s Documentary Short project
- Producer for Moving Image Production – Developing an understanding of the Producer’s role across various media formats before putting into practice by Producing a Short of their choosing
- Career Development for the Moving Image Industries – Students research and focus on the opportunities that may be available to them post-HND
- Work Experience in the Creative Media Sector – An invaluable opportunity to undertake a placement within the industry.
- Digital Video Post-Production – Building on the Editing Skills gained in the student’s HNC Year
The course is predominantly practical and is delivered via a blended learning approach consisting of lectures, workshops, industry visits and master classes. Students also undertake a Media Industry Work Placement in Second Semester.
Financial support with course fees may be available depending on eligibility.