This 1 year course is the equivalent to 3 AS levels and enables you to learn about working within the Public Services.
Upon successful completion of this year you can progress onto the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Public Services which will allow you to gain the equivalent to 3 A Levels.
The course is timetabled for 15 hours per week. A further 8 hours may be allocated to Essential Skills and Employability.
Students can potentially progress onto university to study a wide range of degrees available, or pursue employment.
Subjects studied may include:
- Outdoor and adventurous expeditions
- Skills for land based outdoor adventurous activities
- Skills for water based outdoor adventurous activities
- Land navigation by map and compass
- Fitness testing and training
- Teamwork and leadership
- Understanding discipline
- Crime and its effects on society
- Government policies
- Police powers
- Aspects of the legal system
You will work towards a Personal Development qualification and will be involved in a range of activities designed to improve employability. You will be required to complete Essential Skills in Literacy and Numeracy if you do not have a GCSE Grade C or above in English or Maths. You will also have the opportunity to complete a qualification in ICT.