This course is equivalent to four GCSEs and aims to develop your understanding and knowledge of small animal care. It provides excellent preparation for working with animals and is suitable for those who wish to enter a wide range of careers from dog grooming to working in a zoo.
Typically, you will be in class for a minimum of 15 hours per week.
MODULES MAY INCLUDE:
- Maintain Animal Health and Welfare
- Contribute to the Nursing of Animals
- Understand the Basic Principles of Animal Biology
- Introduction to the Principles and Practices of Animal Behaviour and Handling
- Equine Studies (Downpatrick only)
You will also:
- Undertake Work Related Experience in Land-based Industries
- Undertake Practical Animal Feeding
- Work related experience in animal care (one day a week) is an integral part of this course.
You will work towards a Personal Development qualification and will be involved in a range of activities, designed to improve employability. You will be required to complete Essential Skills in Literacy and Numeracy if you do not have a GCSE grade C in English or Maths. This will be a mandatory part of your course.