You will gain experience of working in a caring setting as well as acquiring knowledge of the theory of health and social care. You will have the opportunity to gain practical caring skills in care settings through work placements and working with different client groups. You will gain an appreciation of the skills and qualities required to be a "carer" and become more knowledgeable in good care practice.
You will study 4 core and 4 optional units and you will participate in periods of work placement, a minimum of 60 hours. There is an attendance commitment requirement of at least 15 hours per week.
Subjects will include:
- Human Lifespan development
- Health & Social Care Services
- Vocational Experience in a Health & Care setting
- Anatomy & Physiology for Health & Social Care
- Communication in Health & Social Care
- Individual Needs in Health & Social Care
- Individual rights in Health & Social Care
- Ensuring Safe environments in Health & Social Care
You will be required to undertake a period of work experience, examples of which could include working in a nursing home or within a childcare setting. You will be required to complete Essential Skills in Literacy and Numeracy if you do not have a GCSE grade C in English or Maths together with ICT Essential Skills. You will also participate in enterprise and entrepreneurship programme to help you explore and develop ideas for starting your own business.